Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Motivation found!


I spent some time looking at old pictures trying to find the perfect "1995 body"* image to inspire me. You've heard me say before that I don't know how these extra pounds got on me! I know the Fat Fairy didn't visit 2 years ago and with a wave of her wand *poof* turned me chubby! I wish. But it's all my fault. Over the 8-10 year period I gained weight, I ignored the pesky 5 pound gain here and there. The extra inches sort of just crept up slowly, on my calves (creating cankles) and then thighs. Next was my belly...and the arms! *Eeeek* My boobs grew 2 sizes! And before I knew it...my back and hips were all held hostage to Mr. Fat Cell.

When you look at weight gain over that long of a period, you don't calculate your gain. You blame it on the designer that made the pants..."Hmm, I have to grab a size 10, these must run small"....or you start wearing things less binding. Remember, weight gain was never an issue for me in my past! This was new to me! But no one stopped and said "hey, you're lookin' a little more porky these days, Jess". Honestly, I was mad at my family and husband for not saying anything to me as I recently tipped the scales at my heaviest in my life. Like it's their fault, right? But they noticed. And subtle hints were dropped that I missed. I was in denial. And to make matters worse, my husband professes his love for my love handles and round butt. Sometimes I wonder if he likes me with some junk in my trunk so I'm not desirable to anyone else? Hasn't he learned by now that I'm here to stay? Sheesh!

I've posted a slide show at the bottom of my blog to show you my transformation from former hotty to mommy, and then a "notty" as I look today. As I held the photo of my former hot self in my hand and held it up alongside the photo of me today, I suddenly felt REEEALLY motivated. A little voice inside me said "Hey, stupid, you looked like that once, and you can again! Duh!!!". Having tangible proof that I existed at that size and shape was the best wake up call for me.



*Photo posted was taken in July 1998. I'm merely referencing it as my "1995 body" for the sake of my goal. I'll take my 1998 body any day. I'm not picky!

1 comment: